6 Best Things to Do in Austin
Updated: Apr 1
The capital city of Texas offers a diverse population of cultures, live music and eclectic restaurants. Self-proclaimed as the Live Music Capital of the U.S.A., Austin offers unique activities for people of all ages.
You'd be surprised how much there is to explore in this vibrant city. From tasty BBQ to live music, Austin is filled with friendly, creative vibes.
Check out these top six things to do during your next visit and remember to Keep Austin Weird.
1. Bat watching at the Congress Avenue Bridge – Austin is home to the largest urban bat colony in North America. As such ~1.5 million bats make their home under the Congress Ave. Bridge since the 1980 renovation. Every spring the Mexican free-tailed bats migrate north to the bridge to give birth and raise their offspring. Come summertime, the bats can be seen each evening at dusk as they emerge for their nightly excursions to rid the city of pesky insects before heading back to central Mexico in the fall.
2. Check out some live music – called the “live music capital of the world” – head to Sixth Street, which has seen massive restoration since the 1970s to save the area from its grungy reputation. Check out shows at Antone’s Club or throw your hands in the air at the indoor/outdoor space of Mohawk in the Red River Cultural District. Nearby, Speakeasy offers three levels of entertainment, including a music lounge and rooftop Terrace59 lounge with amazing downtown views.
3. Eat a Gourdough’s donut – Visit the original food truck on South First Street for a big, fat donut. Trust me, they are bigger than they look, but as I always say “Go Big or Go Home.” And get a to-go box.
4. Snap a pic with local, outdoor wall murals – Austin’s buildings are canvases, with a wealth of colorful artwork. Explore almost any neighborhood and you’ll stumble on an ever-changing gallery of murals and street art.
5. Shop in SoCo District – boutique/retro clothing on South Congress Avenue, about 5 miles south of downtown Austin. This local neighborhood is full of unique shops, murals and fun restaurants. It’s the quintessential Austin vibe and worth a visit.
6. Explore Austin’s local brewery scene – the craft brew scene in Austin has blown up recently, with so many options to explore. Make sure to check out Lazarus Brewing, St. Elmo’s Brewery in south Austin, Austin Beerworks, and Pinthouse Pizza in central Austin.
Keep Austin Weird.